Monday, October 16, 2006

I Love It When You Read My Blog

Am I the only one? Does blog writing feel somewhat like writing a note and slipping it into a bottle and tossing it out into cyberspace? It's kind of freeing in a sense. Like writing a secret on a piece of paper and burning it. Yet there is that nagging feeling that somewhere, someone may be reading it. Guess that's what keeps me writing. Maybe some bloggers stop because they gave up, figuring no one ever found the bottle laying there in the cyber-sand.

Now I know why the comments are so important. You guys don't know it but I have become a comment-obsessed freak. Coming home and finding a comment (or two, or three) is truly satisfying, in that kind of way that could get really addicting. Like finding change in a newspaper machine when you were a kid. When did I stop checking those things, anyway? Or when someone is scratching your back and they find the itchy spot. Or getting that parking space right in front of where you are going (Santa Barbaran's think of the 5 Points Shopping Center Parking lot and getting that space right in front of Fresco's. Or Starbucks.)

So just imagine how tickled I was this evening to come home and find four, count 'em FOUR comments to yesterday's entry! So I decided to devote a whole entry to answering the comments.

Leslie writes: Laura, very nice phone. My husband put his cell phone in the washer last week, and since it is surgically connected to his hand, he had a new one within the half hour. Sorry the advice on the pics didn't help. Here's one more. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but my Olympus has a setting for closeups, so see if you have that. Where is that camera manual anyway
Camera manual?! You actually expect me to pick up a camera manual? I am much too prideful for that! (OK, OK, I actually DID try to look through the manual for my new phone and could not understand it. What is it about those manual writers? I think they sit around and plot how they can make the instructions "simple but impossible to understand" then sit around and snicker at the thought of newbies like me trying to figure out my phone.) There actually is a camera manual in existence SOMEWHERE in this house, think needle and haystack. But when I find it, I will be sure to peruse it. Who knows, I may be enlightened to decipher some of the heiroglyphics the makers thought up. What does the arrow in the shape of lightning mean, anyway? The camera actually belongs to my son and when we got it for him for his birthday one year, I didn't see why we should spend more than $100 for it. Now I am kicking myself. We should have at least spent $500.

Chauntel writes: I remember~ Til Tuesday, Voices Carry
I am an 80's music junkie.
So you are one of 'those' people. Tracy is one too & she does have some rather odd caught singing moments. She tries to drag my kids into it when they are in her car.
Outdoor pictures not in direct sunlight will get you some very nice shots. Most likely, you will not have to change any settings on you camera. Auto should do just fine (if it has an auto).

Actually, I am embarrassed to admit that I was actually referring to the title of my post. The really embarrassing thing, is that I think the phrase was actually, "New Car, oooooooooooh" (for the oooooooooooh part, the singing voice goes up and down). But I can't remember anything else about the song. Ring a bell Chauntel? Ken? (My brother-in-law and sometime reader who is a music-phile if there ever was one.)
And yes, I am one of 'those.' The thing that cracks me up is when my kids' friends look at me like I am nutso and right away I know that their parents would never do anything so out there.

Tellen writes: Yes, I too am a sing-alonger. And I finally reached a point where I just don't care who hears! The funniest ones are when I get caught singing along with the hold music on the phone... Yeah, that's been good for quite a few laughs. :) So, from one singalonger to another...Sing! Sing out loud! (I am pretty sure that's a song... lol)
I've been known to get those blasted Wiggles show songs stuck in my head for weeks at a time. And caught absent-mindedly singing them out loud! As in: Toddler Mom: "Are you singing that "Mashed Potatoes" song from the Wiggles?" Me: "Um. No."

Whimsical Knitter writes: Loving the phone. LOL, I sing along, too...and I have an atrocious singing voice!
Yes, but did you ever imagine in the shower that it sounded GREAT? I can really sing my heart out in the shower! You catch me in the shower and you just may hear Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart," or Elvis' "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You." Or even Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Were Made for Walking." I love to sing! Badly, I might add!

Anyone else out there? Give me a shout out, I'd love to hear from you! H-E-L-L-L-L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O OUT THERE!

9 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay. Now you got me started. Shower singing?? Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz". That's my goto song. But "Piece Of My Heart" is right up there. :) And you mentioned getting the Wiggles stuck in your head... mine is the song from the Little Mermaid "Look at this stuff... isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete!" Yeah. Good thing I live alone...

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sing! Sing outloud is a Sesame Street song. We know that one well around here. And to the other 80's song...hmmm...it's not ringing a bell, you will have to sing it for me next time I see you ;o) THen again, it is pre-coffee this morning!And I fully agree about comments being addicting! That is why I am sure to leave them for other people (hinthint) so I might get a few myself!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Hint taken, Chauntel.

And as I recall, the Sing A Song song was first done by Karen Carpenter, another one of my singalong-favorite artists. (Who can forget the schlocky wedding favorite, 'We've Only Just Begun', the remake of 'Mr. Postman', and the lesser known 'Bless the Beasts and the Children'?).

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Chauntel. I couldn't agree more that blog writing can "feel somewhat like writing a note and slipping it into a bottle and tossing it out into ccberspace". I thought I'd comment since I visited.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Rose Red said...

Sometimes I feel like I live for comments on my blog - I compulsively check it at work (feels like about 100 times a day). The most I've received for one post is 5 comments. I was pretty darn happy about that! It's actually really satisfying to make connections in the world, isn't it. From another child of the 80s.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Thanks Montana and Rose Red for commenting! I have visited both of your blogs and will be back again soon to see what you are up to! It's nice to know I'm not alone!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Laura,

I also LOVE to get comments! My 13 year old daughter also gets very excited! The internet is a fun place to be!

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the one?

Voices Carry

I'm in the dark, I'd like to read his mind
but I'm frightened of the things I might find
Oh, there must be something he's thinking of
to tear him away
when I tell him that I'm falling in love
why does he say

Hush hush
keep it down now
voices carry

I try so hard not to get upset
because I know all the trouble I'll get
oh, he tells me tears are something to hide
and something to fear
and I try so hard to keep it inside
so no one can hear

Hush hush
keep it down now
voices carry

He wants me
but only part of the time
He wants me
if he can keep me in line

Hush hush
keep it down now
voices carry

hush hush, darling, she might overhear
oh, no-voices carry
he said shut up he said shut up
oh God can't you keep it down
voices carry
I wish he would let me talk

Rosie brought this up because we were watching the Grey's Anatomy with Richard Roundtree, and she told Sharon that you and I sounded pretty good when we broke into THE THEME FROM SHAFT.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Go Ken! ...but that's not it! I used to be a Missing Persons fan and even saw them during the height of their popularity when the lead singer with the long blonde hair (Dale something?) wore a dress made out of Saran wrap on stage. Who can forget "Walking in LA"? (Walking in LA, walking in LA, only a nobody walks in LA...) The one I'm talking about has the chorus of, "New! Toy! (ooooooh)" or something like that. It IS bugging me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home