Sunday, September 24, 2006

Doncha Just Love Getting Packages In The Mail?


I do! I got this in the mail the other day (yes, I have been trying to get this posted for three days now! I changed my browser or whatever it's called to Firefox and finally ended up getting the pictures uploaded. Sheesh.) Isn't it interesting looking? Of course, I knew immediately what it was. You see, I had bought some 5" Brittany dpns a couple weeks ago (remember?) and immediately broke one upon returning home. I wrote the company less than two weeks later, got a really nice email and the above package containing this:


No, those are NOT toothpicks! They are not one, but count 'em 4 replacement needles! I am as of now a devoted Brittany fan. Love 'em. I thought that was true excellent customer service. Now all I need to do is cast on that second sock ...



In other interesting tidbits in the life of Laura, I got a postcard in the mail today. That is actually an invitation to my 30th high school reunion.

30th. Dang that's old. Anyway, the girl who is in the second row, second from the right? That was my best friend, Deliese. We met sophomore year and pretty much became inseparable from that point. There was another girl, Victoria, and the three of us hung out, talked about boys and went to rock concerts, smoked cigarettes, went to parties, you know. We weren't part of the coveted "inner circle" and we felt safer hanging together. What would I have done without them? We hung out constantly. And when we weren't together, we were on the phone. That was in the days before cellphones, or even cordless phones. Or even long cords. You were stuck in one spot. Couldn't even clean your room, the cord was so short. It was a huge deal to even HAVE a phone in your room. I can remember being able to see myself in the dresser mirror while I was talking on the phone and I'd talk for hours and watch myself talking. I think a couple of times we even fell asleep while we were talking on the phone.

I also remember getting in a HUGE fight with my mom because she refused to let me drive over the Golden Gate Bridge with my two friends to celebrate New Year's Eve when I was sixteen. I couldn't believe she was so strict! Well, all I can say is this: Thanks, Mom! Sorry to have put you through that! I thought you were so clueless and hopelessly square and so uncool back then. Now I see you were WISE!

Anyway, as soon as I got that postcard, I called up Deliese. She lives in NY now and we must have talked for over an hour. We had a lot to catch up on since I haven't talked to her in 4 or 5 years and haven't seen her in 10. I told her I'd go if she does. It's next month, the 21st. Anyone besides me think that's awfully short notice for a 30th reunion? But it's typical. We had such an apathetic class. Sort of ironic, being the "class of '76," bicentenniel and all. I think most of us were just stoned then. I have no idea what our excuse is now. Inertia, I guess.

1 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, thanks for letting me know that the knit group will be at the library. I'll try to be there tomorrow. My husband is on a business trip and if my mom comes visit on Tuesday and spend the night, I'll be able to sneak out to the knit group. Otherwise I'll be there next week for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home