Monday, June 25, 2007

Summoned

Today I got paid to knit in public. No really, I did. I think most people refer to it as "jury duty" but hey, let's call it what it really is. Jury duty is like a knitter's dream if you work for the government. Which I do. I really was disappointed because I never even made it to the jury box. Now, I was just positive that I would have been picked to be a jury member if I had! I am so neutral and unbiased and more than anything, I come off as mild mannered, but of course, not too much so. They dismissed anyone who seemed in any way opinionated or different. The thing is, deep down, I am extremely opinionated and very "different." But I like to keep all that under wraps. I do however, like to think that I am capable of keeping my bias away from my judgement.

You can't knit in the jury box, though. But still. I could have walked to jury duty since it is only a mile from my house. I could have visited Julie at Knit and Pearl since it is only a block from her store. I'm telling you, I am truly disappointed not to be going back there tomorrow! Ah well, maybe next year.

I did make some progress on a project. I'll show it to you tomorrow.

6 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Blogger Rose Red said...

Being paid to knit is my second favourite fantasy!!

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I'm almost afraid to, but I'll bite -- what IS your 1st favorite fantasy?!!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Beatriz said...

In Ventura, no knitting is allowed in jury services room. I think crocheting is allowed, but not knitting. I went last year when it was allowed and it was the best paid 8 hours of knitting I could ask for.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

I wasn't allowed to knit during my call for jury duty. They tried to take it away from me! Luckily I know people there which probably explains why I didn't get on the jury.

And so cool about your Mythbusters meet! And that you survived the graduation.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Wow! I didn't know about the no knitting rule! Actually, the judge asked us not to read or do any other activities that might distract us while the jury was being interviewed so that we'd be focussed and ready when it was our turn to answer questions. Out of respect, I didn't immediately whip out my knitting after he said that, but after the break I noticed a lady doing cross stitch and figured I could always do what my kids do when they get caught doing something they're not supposed to by pointing at her and yelling, "But SHE did it first!" Besides, I could focus on the questions better because it kept me from falling asleep!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Jury Duty isn't all that much fun. I got called this year and got picked for the jury and I had a migraine when it was all over and done. But I did get paid both by my employer and the courts and it was a day off from work. Sadly, no knitting though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home