Monday, May 28, 2007

7 Random Facts

Niki over at KnitNik tagged me for this meme. Here's how it works:

Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs the 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag 7 others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog.

1) I once saved a person's life. My then-boyfriend and I randomly decided to stop by her house one evening while on a walk. We invited her to come walk with us and come over for a beer. Unbeknownst to us, she had just taken a huge overdose of pills. At my house, when she passed out, my boyfriend insisted she "had a couple too many" and had fallen asleep. Have you ever been unsure whether to call 911? I went back and forth, imagining in my head the paramedics saying, "Lady, you called us for this? She's just had a couple too many and needs to sleep it off!" Finally, when I pinched her on the leg as hard as I could and she didn't stir, I called them. BF was telling me he was going to laugh and tell me 'I told you so' and I was half convinced he was right. It turns out she likely could have died if I hadn't. She was in the hospital for a week afterward, then transferred to a home for suicidals. 3 or 4 years later, as part of her sobriety commitment, she came to me and apologized and also thanked me. I recently ran into her after 20 years. We didn't mention the incident. I wondered how I would have felt if I hadn't listened to my inner voice and called 911.

2) I am a late bloomer. I learned to drive at 24. I didn't marry until I was 32. Started having kids at 36. Finally coming into my own at 48. Never did figure out what I wanted to do when "I grew up." Let's just hope I live long enough to see it all work itself out.

3) I learned how to crochet when I was 9 one weekend while staying at my aunt's. She was making granny squares and I pestered her until she showed me how. I learned how to knit when I was 43. All that whole time between 9 and 43 I kept meaning to learn to knit (see #2)

4) Nine years ago this September, a dear friend of mine died of cancer. She was a committed Buddhist, a leader of very high repute within her community of buddhists. I was a recent born-again Christian. In her final days, the only people she would see were her then 15 yo son, her live-in S.O. of 15 years, a nurse-friend of hers (also a Buddhist) and me. There were literally hundreds of people whom she had counseled and led, clamoring to see her. It was one of the first times in my walk with the Lord that I felt a true sense of assignment. Not to preach, not to live in fear for her salvation, but to daily pray for her and walk as He walked, care for her, love her and bring His Love to her bedside. My Bible came with me every day. When she died, she named me as trustee to her son's trust. She also had me speak at her memorial.

5) Before I came to the Lord, I was a leftist, feminist, Liberal, raised in a staunchly Democrat family. I also explored Buddhism, Hinduism and all kind's of New Age rhetoric. I now eschew all labels: Liberal v. Conservative, Democrat v. Republican, leftist v. rightist, and especially follow-the-crowd politics. I pray before voting, refuse to enter in to arguments pertaining to politics and social issues and cannot stand the close-mindedness I see coming from both ends of the spectrum. Many think that I have become narrow-minded because I have dedicated my life to knowing Jesus more and spreading His gospel. I disagree and see that He has opened my heart to love, forgive and accept in ways I never could before. These days I pray that my example would precede my words - my walk is much more important to me than what I say.

6) I am quite a bit of a show-off and like being the center of attention (as long as you're laughing WITH me and not AT me).

7) My fingers are "double-jointed" (a misnomer). They bend in a strange way. When trying (unsuccessfully) to play volleyball in high school, I was assigned to be a "setter" rather than a "spiker" (the real athletes were the spikers -- they had to be able to jump high). But my fingers kept bending in that weird way which was very painful.


I'll be tagging:

My new blog-buddy, Have Yarn Will Travel
Skeins Her Way -- check out her summer knitting goals contest -- love her designs!
Rose Red Shoes -- so many fun projects, and food!
My Middle Name is Patience -- this woman can READ! But she is not one bit condescending about it.
Bananaknits -- a new cruise buddy! Ask her about her Hanne Falkenberg jacket, it is to die for! One day, I will make one!
String Theory -- again, with the fun ideas and funky finds!
She Seeketh Wool -- another new blog buddy from the cruise! Also? Cutest "About Me" picture ever!

I love blogging. So many interesting people. Plus, you guys understand me. I was at a Memorial Day BBQ today and they teased me about the Sea Sock Cruise! Yep, made fun of me (Not in a mean way, but still)! I told them that you guys understand! You understand the heartbreak of losing a bag with a project and a newly acquired skein of yarn. You guys understand the excitement of meeting a "knitting blog celebrity!" You guys understand what I mean when I say "knitting blog celebrity!"

4 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh fun!! thanks for tagging me. Your random thoughts were really really interesting - it's funny how you think you "know someone" through their blog...and realize and that you know very little really, & there's is still much to learn!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

I've been tagged for that one already! Maybe a post back? But thanks for thinking of me!

Wow, the old BF had bad judgment. Better safe than sorry. Passing out at someone else's house? One way or another, that's a wake up call.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely understand the thoughts of your buddhist friend--the peace and compassion in your heart come through so easily.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Cristina: I know exactly what you mean! And I love how we're all brought together by passion for the craft.

Oh, and Carrie: Unfortunately in those days of my youth, passing out at people's houses was an all too common occurence. Eventually I ended up in AA (Unfortunately it took me a couple more years and a few more battle scars!)

Rose, you are too sweet! In case you don't know, Rose was one of my roomies on the cruise. She was the belle of the ball!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home