Sunday, February 25, 2007

Knitting Frenzy

I'm thinking that maybe I'm in a bit of a funk. Depression is a weird thing. It is hard to tell when it creeps up on you. It's super gradual and one day you wake up feeling as if you have always felt this crummy your whole life.

I keep eating. I can tell that I need to exercise but I'm not. I want to hole up and do nothing but knit. I have all kinds of ideas of things I want to knit and not enough time to do it. Sort of a hiding-from-the-world-by-knitting frenzy. I keep thinking that it will make me feel better, but it doesn't.

So there are a ton of knitting ideas and possible projects and I can't get to them all at the same time. Here is just a sampling: A Clapotis out of some Silk Garden I scored for half off. A felted llama (per request from my son. His 6th grade science "invention" is a "llama launcher." I have been asked to supply said llama.) Then there's the felted hedgehog pattern that I just had to have after I saw it while searching out the felted llama in the pattern book. Too cute. And don't forget the afghan for each of my kids to go in their newly painted rooms on their new bed.

I started on the afghan for my son. He picked his yarn in like, two seconds. We decided to make them out of Lion Brand Homespun. Ugh. I'd forgotton just how much I hate knitting with Homespun. But the range of colors is great, and I figure it will go through the washer (and dryer) if need be. Sigh. The sacrifices we make for our children. The color is Rococo and it looks exactly like a bowl of oatmeal spread out in blanket form. I am guessing it will use 6 skeins to fit a twin size bed. The pattern is a simple one. You knit 4 rows, then you k4, p4 for 4 rows. I wish you could see it better than this picture. Emi has chosen blue (will wonders never cease, I was certain it was going to be lavender.


Hers is going to be a different textured pattern which I found here.


As if all that wasn't enough to keep me busy for awhile (and that is only the projects I have thought up in the past couple of days. Don't even get me started on UFOs and other swirling ideas), I saw this sweater in the Chico's catalog. I thought, hey, I could MAKE that sweater! Well, I'd leave off the huge wooden buttons. And I felt challenged to design my own pattern.


I found this yarn. It is called Mister Joe Blanket from Elann. It is a single ply wool blend that knits up at 24/4. I think it would be the perfect yarn for my sweater. And at approximately 2000 yards for $30 it's a steal! Right now,I can only dream. MUST. WORK. DOWN. STASH.

5 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, as fast as a depressing mood comes, it seems to lift just as fast. Hang in there! Lately my knitting has seen me through some very stressful times. Just basic stockinette stitch will calm me down and slow down my breathing. Something akin to the "New Yoga"?:)

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Tracy found that same Mr Joe yarn or whatever it is & swiped some up for a project too. It's awfully tempting isn't it?? And washable if I remember correctly.
I find that when my down moods hit I can't decide what to knit. No project is appealing, it's frustrating & flat out sucks sometimes. Buying yarn always seems to help though, wonder why that is. lol

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like those February blues - but it will soon be March! Just keep knitting!

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that there was a knitting group at Knit & Purl on Sundays. Have you been to this group yet?

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I haven't heard anything about it! But then again, I'm kind of out of the loop, what with the full time job and all. Anybody know anything about this? Joanna? Chauntel? Tracy? JULIE?! (She's the owner!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home