Monday, January 08, 2007

Elvis Would Have Been 72

Comparatively, I am a youthful 48 today. Okay, that just sounds way too old.

Yes, it's that time of year again. The Christmas rush has subsided, we have rung in the New Year. What's next, you say? Well, that means it's time for me 'n Elvis' birthday. I happen to share a birthday with the late, great Elvis.

I didn't say anything about it at work. I'm kind of new and felt it might have been sort of embarrassing to go around and TELL everyone it was my birthday. Not that it was a secret or anything.

I had a very nice day. Emi and Kai gave me a cute coffee mug, one of those commuter kinds that keeps the liquid hot. And a very cute card with kittens on it -- my daughter's influence, natch. Most of the work day was just your normal workday. I kind of didn't work as hard as I usually do. Did a little bit here and there. But took it kind of easy.

Me and the kids were invited to our friends Carol and Jan's for dinner and it was so nice. My three bestest friends, Beth, Judy and Sheila were there, with families and we all enjoyed a wonderful dinner, and a delicious homemade chocolate cake, compliments of Jan, who besides being a killer computer tech is also a whiz at making and decorating cakes. I wish I would have had the presence of mind to bring the camera along with me for pics of all these lovely people and the cool gifts they gifted me with. I was showered and loved and I feel so special and blessed.


Here is a picture of the finished hat. My son, the paparazzi dodger, wore it to school today. It came out very nice, but I'd like to snatch it off his head and adjust to to be just a wee bit "shallower." You know, pull out the decreases, remove say, 4 -6 rows then close it back up again. In this picture, it looks fine, but every time I've seen it today, the back end of it has been sort of bunched up at the base of his neck. I think I could make it fit just a bit better. He seems to like it as is. Maybe I'll have to do it while he's sleeping one night. Hee hee.

Okay, so I posted this entry, but I just had to re-edit to add this: Seeing my age written down there like that in the blog entry just totally freaked me out. If you are reading this blog and you are saying to yourself, "Dang, that lady's OLD!" Well, join the club, that is exactly what I said to myself when I saw it all posted up there on the blog! Please don't let that fool you into thinking that I am some mature, matronly, middle-aged lady. Quite possibly you'd think that even if you actually saw me. But trust me, inside I still feel like the same YOUNG person I've always been! I giggle hysterically when people fart instead of ignoring it. I get all excited when someone opens a box of candy. I still think a drink tastes better with a straw, even water. And I still try to find ways to avoid doing what I ought to be doing. Oh yea, and I still bite my nails. How can I be 48?!

Let me just say that I really DO want to grow up in some ways. And by that, I don't mean lose my sense of humor. I just mean be more responsible. It is time to not feel like a kid walking around in an old person's skin. Time to pay my bills more promptly (and systematically). Get more neat and organized. Live on a budget. Establish better routines for both myself and my children. Things like that.

3 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Laura! Wow, it's great that you share your Bday with "The King". And BTW, don't change all those things you think you should. They're what make you you, and you'll just get frustrated and feel bad swimming against your own personal tide.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hey Leslie! Thanks. Some things I cannot change about myself. Incapable. But I'm hoping that if I'm willing, and keep asking, God will do it for me. I haven't yet asked to be cured from being a goofball. Paying my bills on time would be a nice change though. That probably entails a little more cooperation though. :]

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Vanessa and I am a 24 year old student living in Kentucky. I am new to knitting but I love it. If only I could read/study while knitting life would be amazing. I love the hat that you made for your son and would like to make one myself. What pattern did you use? Thanks for your blog and keep it up!!! Sincerely, Vanessa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home